The complex of the former Mulino Pantanella represents one of the most important examples of industrial archaeology in Rome.
The Mulini e Pastificio Pantanella company built a structure on the Via Casilina to replace the original factory in Via dei Cerchi created by its founder, Michele Pantanella.
At that time, the industrial area included a silos, a mill and a pasta factory.
This place played a fundamental role in the economical life of Rome, shown by the fact that, during World War II, on 19th July, 1943, the factory was struck by 13 of the 17 bombs dropped on Rome, as it had been marked as a strategic target following American reconnaissance missions.
At the end of the war, the restoration works began, which made of Pantanella the first pasta factory in Europe, thanks to the modern equipment and to the innovative conception of the factory designed by Aschieri.
In the ‘60s, an inexorable process of financial crisis began, leading to closure.
Abandoned and in a progressive state of deterioration, the mill had different owners, until it was acquired by the Società dell’Acqua Pia Antica Marcia, which supervised its restoration and conversion.
Building “A”, which formerly housed the factory offices, is now for residential and commercial use.
Building “B” (the former silos) is the oldest structure, built in 1915. The intervention has preserved the external style, on which glass walls and windows have been created, while the inner structures have been demolished and rebuilt, as a function of the new residential and commercial use of the complex.
Also Building “C”, the former biscuit factory, has been assigned a residential and commercial use; to this end, the external structure has been subjected to changes, to increase openings and light wells, and to change roof coverings.
Building “D”, built in 1929, is for offices and residences with garages and cellars.
Today, Buildings “F” and “G” make up a single structure. The first one, built in 1933, was a biscuit factory; the second one was added in 1958 as a shed. The whole complex will be reserved to activities connected with culture, shows, leisure and sports. All around it, an open car park will be created.
Building “L”, built in 1946 to replace the mill destroyed by bombing, is the most significant element of the complex for its capacity, and it’s completely for residential use.